Joey Sweatshirt

9.15.2015



Okay, let's start with the most obvious thing about this garment- it's too small for my child.  Which is a huge bummer, because I happen to think it's a pretty freaking adorable garment.  In fact, this may be the exact face that I made when I realized that it was too small.


Alright, now that that's out of the way, let's talk about this little sweatshirt.   Remember, the Joey Dress?  And remember my Renfrew?  Well, this is what you get when you use the left over fabric from your Renfrew to make a sweatshirt from the Joey pattern.  Ta-da!  Although, my stupidity in making this was shortening the Joey bodice piece by an inch when cutting out the pattern.  I don't know why I thought this would be a great idea.  If I had left it an inch longer it probably would fit perfectly - doh!  I'm a bit bummed because this is the most luscious of sweatshirt knits and I hate for fabric to go to waste.  Hopefully I can talk C into wearing it in the coming years although knowing how stubborn she is, I won't hold my breath.


In any case, this little sweatshirt was a super-simple, easy make.  With a cute little pocket piece, the Joey Dress pattern is ripe for turning into a sweatshirt.  The only thing that needs to be done is to cut out a slightly larger size to make up for the fact that most sweatshirt fabrics have very little stretch.  This time around I was super-lazy and just sewed the sweatshirt together with a smaller seam allowance, but next time I'll make proper modifications and cut out one size larger.


Also, next time I won't let O spill yogurt smoothie all over her new sweatshirt before I take pictures of it.  You learn something new everyday.  Or at least I do.

5 comments:

  1. I'm holding out hope that C will love it. There is something super awesome about opening a box of hand-me-down clothes and finding a mama-made garment that has a chance at a new life. When Indigo was 6 I had so many fails - dresses that were too short. And they fit T perfectly now and I feel like I got a bonus garment out of it. Delayed gratification! :)

    Awesome top! You're on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's so cute! I wonder if you could just shorten/roll the sleeves and immediately pass it along to C? Or it could be one of those 'cropped sweatshirts' that are all the rage these days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like it might be a nice length for layering over a dress, maybe? It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could give it a bit more length by replacing the bottom ribbing? I agree that it's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even cuter than that top? O's sad face!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!