So, given that this post is about what I did during my spring break and it's now almost the middle of July, this post may be just a tad bit overdue. But, I made pants (!) so we're just going to ignore the three month delay and celebrate this accomplishment.
In any case, want to know what spring break looks like when you're a thirty-something mother of two? It involved the following very exciting to-do list.
1. Do taxes.
2. Stop drinking caffeine.
3. Learn how to sew a pair of pants.
I know - you're super-jealous of my exciting life. There is in fact good news, however.
1. We got a tax refund.
2. I stopped drinking caffeine and I'm still somewhat functioning.
3. I sewed a pair of pants!
Birkin flare pattern matches up almost perfectly to my beloved jeans. In fact, being able to match up the measurements between the pants and the Birkin pattern was one of the things that convinced me to take the plunge into pants making.
Okay, on to the actual making. Before cutting out the pants, I shortened the inseam by 1 inch and I slimmed out of the flare by about 1 inch, which perhaps makes these patterns more of a bootcut now. In any case, from there I simply followed the instructions which were pretty self-explanatory until it came to the fly insertion which made me scratch me head a bit, although it ended up being just fine in the end (that is - after I sewed the fly shut during my first attempt. Doh!). I used a combo of the pattern instructions and the Ginger jeans sewalong for a little extra hand holding during the sewing process and both were really helpful. I debated whether to add rivets, but in the end I added them since the pants are fairly tight and can probably use every little bit of added strength in the seams. I used the instructions from Ginger jeans sewalong and this tutorial to address the issue of the rivets being slightly too long. Also, I bought my button and rivets from TaylorTailor and they arrived super-fast (way faster than the original place that I ordered from that never actually sent what I ordered).
As for the fabric, I opted for a black cotton twill with 2% spandex. The fabric is actually a sateen, but I didn't want such a shiny fabric so I used the wrong side as my right side. The only downside to this is that I'm concerned that lint (and everything else) sticks to this fabric a little too easily. I suppose it's time to find where my lint roller is. They also tend to show off every little wrinkle throughout the day (as evidenced by these photos that show off every little wrinkle).
Oh, and I just have to say that these pants were sewn on the simplest of simple sewing machines and it survived to live another day. Yes, there were some times when I found myself talking to it and saying "You can do it. I believe in you" but it was all very doable.
Also, that's not our cat. Much to my kids' chagrin, I'm allergic and we won't be getting a cat, which makes them that much more excited when the neighbor's cat hops our fence and pays us a visit.