Two Types Of Garments

3.30.2014


You know how sometimes you make something that is absolutely fabulous, but then you stop and ask yourself "where the hell will I ever wear this thing?"


And sometimes you make something that is decidedly less fabulous, but you realize that you'll most likely wear it once a week, every week, until the end of time.


Well, this top falls firmly in the latter category.  It's a Tova top that has been sewn up by just about every sewist under the sun so it's less than thrilling to see yet another version, but given how much wear my first Tova still gets I'm guessing that this one will similarly get a ton of use.  The fit is a bit better on this one since I went down a size to compensate for my now nonexistent chest (thanks, kids!) and I also happen to like love this color a lot more.  I'll take some really bright great fabric any day!  The fabric is a fairly lightweight swiss dot cotton that I bought ages ago at Fashion Fabrics Club.  It was about time that I finally got around to sewing it into something.  Plus, this top is kind of perfect for spring.  Now if only we could get some spring-like weather.  Any day now...

11 comments:

  1. I love it! I adore the Tova pattern but I don't think it would work for me as a fuller-busted woman. It's lovely in the Swiss dot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Carolyn, this is so awesome! i love it! i l o v e the fabric you chose. the green looks great with your skin tone. and the top looks fantastic on you. it really, really does. after nursing, my chest was so non-existent i had to buy special bras. and i went running once in just a tank top and it wasn't a problem. for real. i'm going to keep this pattern in the back of my mind for myself someday. i like knowing what flatters us smaller chested gals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't write this pattern off for larger bust gals! It is probably the most made pattern in my collection and I am not small chested! I am trying to persuade myself not to make another and to find another top pattern, but I am not sure I can do it. Love yours! Beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I don't usually go for bright colours but that green is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that colour! Looks stunning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't made the tova yet (there are still a few of us out there that haven't) and i love this version a lot! good call going with the basics. not worth putting all the work into a handmade wardrobe if it doesn't get worn a ton, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, apparently I make things that seem a good idea and then never wear lol It does look good though :o) I won't be making it with the big boobs though, I don't like looking like a walking circus tent ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! I think I actually like sewing basics that I know I will wear frequently the most - I feel like I really get my money's worth from them! And I feel the same way about my kids - we're pretty informal folks, we don't dress up much, so t-shirts and pants and leggings get the most wear in my house!

    I just sewed a very practical, not too interesting "Everday Skirt" for myself - have to get around to blogging it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been tempted to buy this pattern so many times, and this version might just push me over the edge. That green is so beautiful for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Tawa top, perfect for the female.Colors and fabrics which are used in these tops really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But I do think this looks absolutely fabulous! Love the green dotty fabric...

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!