Surprise Undies

2.02.2014

Surprise!


I've actually quietly been sewing along for this round of KCW.  I've had nothing to show for all my sewing thus far though because all I've been making is undies.  Lots and lots of undies (well, eleven pairs to be exact).  Sadly O is just about to outgrow the last batch of undies that I made for her so  I figured that I would use this week to whip out some new ones.


This is my third time using the That Darn Kat Undies pattern and I love it just as much as the first two times.  I'm beginning to think that it runs a little small though since I had to make the size six for my four year old who doesn't turn five for another three months.  I've also come to realize that the fun part of sewing this pattern is sewing the two main parts together.  Sewing 33 leg and waist bands on undies?  Decidedly less fun.  I've also come to realize that top stitching with a good old zigzag stitch is the way to go.  I used a straight stitch the first time around and I felt like it really limited the stretchiness of the undies.  And while I love the double needle I haven't found it to hold up well over time.  And these undies need to stand up over time because if they're anything like the last pairs that I made her, they will get a ton of use.


I also have to say that the first time that I made these undies I hadn't sewn much with knits so I had to go out and buy a bunch of knit fabric in order to make them.  After spending fifty dollars on fabric (and another ten on the pattern) I was pretty convinced that I had lost my mind.  I mean, who spends 60 dollars on kid's underwear?  But it turned out to be totally worth it because the pattern uses so little fabric that three years later (and three rounds of undies later) I'm still using the same fabric that I bought the first time around (plus some scraps from other projects since I've definitely fallen in love with sewing with knits since that time).  It turns out that that was sixty bucks well spent.  Who knew?

PS - Getting 11 undies to all stay stuck to a wall is a lot harder than it looks.

PPS - I am so not a football fan but GO HAWKS!

16 comments:

  1. Sticking 11 pairs of knickers to a wall is a definite move into the alternative home decor sector...

    So the question is, what will run out first, the knits or the pattern sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that's a lotta undies! NICE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i am impressed. especially when you mentioned the 33 bindings. whew! they couldn't be more adorable though! you rocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spend so many hours of my life sewing underpants - the sewing of and on of so many leg/waist bands is definitely what makes you loopy! They look very fun and cute. Kudos for getting them to stick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The things we do for the sake of blogging hey? love the undies on the wall photo, and I'm becoming more and more sold on the idea of making undies when I see them like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fun colors. And 11 pairs- so impressed! Thanks for the zigzag stitch advice. I just made a pair using this pattern and debated what to use for the topstitching. Maybe I'll cut out some more pairs tonight for my last hour of KCW. Or maybe I'll just sit here and listen to all the celebratory Seahawks fireworks going off around us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! The pattern runs so small! I first made the size 2 for my 2 year old and they only fit her teddy bear. 1 size up is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! I love kids undies and these 11 are adorable! I've only made training ones & although I also queried my sanity, it's SO worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! And what a sewing marathon. I am seriously thinking of making some undies for myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! Maybe something for ourselves as well??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so fun and colorful and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I'm in love. Can't thank you enough for sharing. I've always wanted to make undies but just haven't hunted around for a pattern. Going straight on my to-sew list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these. Found you via ChalkTalk. I want them....for me!! and I'm almost 50. (that number seems weird) but anyway....fun! fun! fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable, well done! I'd love to know where you purchased your fabrics for the undies? (I hope you ordered online ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's your lucky day because I did buy most of them online although I bought them over two years ago. Most of the prints and binding fabrics are from fabric.com. A lot of them are Michael miller or patty young prints. The strawberry print though I bought online from pink chalk fabrics. I hope you make some undies!!

      Delete
  15. Those are absolutely gorgeous undies! I want them for myself! And I hear your pain about leg and waist bands. I made a bunch of undies for my little boy last year and that was a real pain in the butt. Nice job! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!