Quilted Vest

3.10.2016


Sometimes it takes me a ridiculously long time to start a project.

Intertia, man.  It's a real thing.

But once I finally get going, I'm usually so happy that I did.


Take this project for example.  I had it in my mind for weeks - ever since making my first Women's Hero Vest and seeing this gorgeous quilted version.  I knew that I had a significant amount of fabric left over from these shorts, but I didn't know if it was enough and I couldn't muster up the effort to actually go downstairs and find out.  Eventually I forced myself to lay out the pattern and I found out that with some creative pattern placement (and lining the hood in a different fabric), I would have juuuust enough to make it.  Did you know that I get extra pleasure when I finish a project and there's nothing but teeny-tiny scraps of fabric left?

In any case, I made a size extra-small graded out to a small at the hips once again, although as I was quilting up each piece I worried that I should have made one size larger in case the quilting made the pieces shrink a bit.  I think it ended up being okay, although I took the vest out of the dryer when it was still damp in case it was prone to shrinking up.  Speaking of the quilting, I quilted each piece with a diagonal pattern, 2 inches apart.  Quilting garments, by the way, is the perfect way to use up odds and ends of batting leftover from quilting projects.


The only modification that I made was to raise the armholes about 1/2-3/4 of an inch (I can't remember the exact amount).  The armholes were pretty deep on the first vest, most likely to accommodate whatever you wear under the vest, but I tend to wear pretty thin shirts and didn't feel that I needed that much room.  I also bound all the edges with the woven fabric rather than knit fabric and I love the way it looks.  I cut out all the bias binding the same length as was recommended for knit fabric under the crazy assumption that it would work just fine.  Turns out that bias binding does not stretch as much as ribbed jersey.  Duh!  So I had to add length to all my bias pieces.  No big deal.  I also now realize that I should have backed the pocket part of the front because as it is right now, the batting is left exposed on part of the inside of the pocket.  It's not visible and doesn't cause any problems, but I wish I had the forethought to address the issue.

Once again, I used the instructions on the Make It Perfect website to enclose the zipper in order to have a nice clean finish on the vest.  And I used a metal zipper this time rather than a plastic one.  All I have to say is "metal zipper for the win!"


Interestingly, despite my proud Pacific Northwest residence, before sewing up these vests for myself I had never actually bought myself a vest and really didn't think of myself as a vest person.  But now I find myself reaching to wear this vest all the time.  It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Also, thanks to the Pacific Northwest for starting to rain on me after I finally mustered up the energy to take pictures.  The slightly blurry photos will just have to suffice.

5 comments:

  1. This is FAAAAAABULOUS. The fabric!! Drooooool. I love it! It may be a vest, but it's definitely not the stereotypical PNW uniform! This adds so much fun and color to a regular t-shirt, and I bet it will be useful in the summer too, for breezy mornings or hanging out near the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vests - they are so great for seasonal weather! The hood makes this one even more transitiony-functional. And yes, I totally understand the extra-special feeling when you use up all of a cut of a fabric in a project. I think my favorite part of this vest is the brown band at bottom back, though - it just makes it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! Cool fabric. I have one vest, it's puffy, and I was shocked to learn how warm it keeps me, being sleeveless and all! The quilting is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely sensational!! i especially love how you lined the vest with the same fabric as the exterior, and metal zippers are awesome aren't they?! except i always seem to snag my fingernails in them! haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This vest is so cool. I love everything about it! I'm totally inspired to make this pattern now.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!