All Grainline, All The Time

9.22.2014

Alternative Title: "The One In Which I Blatantly Copy The Lovely Ms. Beeman"


Perhaps this top looks a little familiar to you?  Probably because it looks exactly like the version that Jen sewed up for her tutorial on how to turn the Scout Tee into a Madewell-inspired top.  What can I say?  I'm a total copy cat.  But imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?  If so, I hope she considers herself truly flattered.


Well, let's start at the beginning and talk about how this top came to be.  I know that I've mentioned it before, but I'm trying my best to work with what I have in making new garments this year.  That certainly doesn't mean that I haven't bought new fabric or new patterns in the last 9 months, but that does mean that I'm trying to be a bit more thoughtful in what I do purchase and that I do my best not to jump on all the latest crazes.  It also means looking at patterns in new ways to see how they can be altered slightly to make garments with different design features.  The fantastic thing about this project though was that all that work was done for me thanks to Jen writing a couple of posts about how to reconfigure the Scout Tee into this lovely garment.  She did a great job writing out a tutorial on how to alter the pattern and all I did was follow her directions (which were lovely - as usual).  I love the curved hem and the cuffed sleeves on this version, not to mention the split neck.  Three little modifications that make for one awesome new garment.



As for sizing, I used the size two in the Scout Tee but with the length of a size 18 garment and I'm sure glad I did because it would have been way too short otherwise - especially since you take some length off of the sides with the curved hem.  The fabric is a Kaufman chambray and is as lovely as everyone says it easy.  Super easy to work with and very affordable - especially since it's such a wide fabric.  I think I bought two yards to make this shirt but only used maybe a yard and a quarter.  Now I need to figure out what to do with the other 3/4 of a yard.  Oh, to have such troublesome problems.



Oh, and why All Grainline, All The Time?  Because I happen to also be wearing my favorite Grainline Maritime Shorts.  A fully handmade outfit?  Yes, please!

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to jump on the copying bandwagon and make one of these tops for myself! I love it paired with your maritime shorts. I have a pair of maritimes and a scout cut out waiting for me to find time to sew them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I LOVE this. It looks so great on you! I know, I kind of want to be Ms. Beeman when I grow up too - she is so stylin, right?! This style would look so good in a soft rayon challis (and it would be more flattering for us larger chested ladies).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I finally got my hands on the scout tee and am excited to make it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well haven't you had a fabulous wardrobe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always so impressed by how professional your sewing looks. This is amazing on you - such a gorgeous top! Also, I just read a post called 'thankful' showing your 39 week pregnant belly and then new baby photos. Sooo sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous! that fabric makes it just perfect too.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!