Baby In The Hood

2.12.2013


I had a minor freak out the other day when I realize that C is now ten months old and possibly out-growing the size range of some of the patterns that I have loved for years but have never gotten around to making.  So imagine my relief when I broke open my copy of Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings the other day and discovered that her pattern for the Baby In the Hood Jacket goes up to size 18 to 24 months.  Whew!

Elastic around the hood? Possibly the most ingenious thing ever!

There are so many great things about Anna Maria's patterns, but one of the best is that her love of fabrics comes through in every pattern that she writes.  Fortunately, I was able to dig through the stash and find two fabrics that go well together and which I had just enough of (and I do mean just enough of...it was a close call on this one).  On a side note, have I mentioned that I'm trying to control the fabric buying until the Sewing and Stitchery Expo comes to town?  Oh yes I am. 


Okay, back to this little jacket.  The main fabric is an Amy Butler fabric that is left over from the back of this quilt and the contrasting fabric...well, I have no idea what it is (aren't I the best blogger ever?) but it's left over from some quilting project that I'm pretty sure that I never got around to finishing (oops).  As for the lining, I knew that I wanted something a bit warmer than regular quilting cotton but I also wanted it to be washable so I settled on cotton flannel.  Originally I was going to head out to my local quilt store to check out their limited flannel options but then I realized that I had approximately fifteen flannel swaddle blankets that made for the girls when they were babies that I no longer had any use for, so I found one that coordinated well with the outer fabrics and I chopped that sucker up.  Problem solved.


I have to say that I was a bit worried that the nine to twelve months size was going to be a bit on the small size for C given that she is a chunky-monkey but in the end it turned out to be the perfect size.  It fits her perfectly right now, but it's also big enough that it should fit her for the next couple of months which is fantastic because she needs a little coat to take her through the spring and the only other coat that we have for her is a huge puffy coat that:

1) doesn't work with car seats
2) is so puffy that it literally doesn't allow her to move
3) makes her look like a giant red Stay Puff Marshmallow Man


Needless to say, she very much appreciates the fact that she can actually move in this coat.  No doubt if she could talk she would say "Thanks, Mom.  It's about freaking time."

12 comments:

  1. I have some of your contrast fabric - I think it's from an older Joel Dewberry collection, out of print now. The jacket is adorable! I've made a few things from that book, the quick change trousers about a zillion times, but not that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job! I love the fabric, that inside one is amazing! And those teeth?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about the jacket: well done!!!! :-)
    So you are going to that sewing expo? I just read about it and have my doubts: soooo many people! And you can buy fabric there too? Tell me more... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern and have been thinking about whipping one up for Maggie too! Elasticized hoods really play up a spherical head and round, delicious cheeks, I find. :-)

    I do think we need a photo of Stay Puff Marshmallow Girl. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that coat is so sweet! i have handmade beginnings, too, and have wanted to make that coat, but it looks way too complicated for me. i guess i will live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee, she doesn't look entirely convinced in that first pic ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that pattern. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, and perfect for spring!! I keep finding shoes in O's closet he's grown out of without wearing. BLURG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - and it has a lion inside! Raaarrr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to hold that little baby in the hood so bad! She's so precious! And the coat is perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I have to make one of these for E in the spring! Loved the one I made for M when he was younger... Did you know she released a bigger sized version of this pattern now too? I'm tempted to buy one for make for my toddler who's likely outgrown the biggest size in the book. oohhh maybe I can make them matching ones.. because that won't be tacky at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy crap this is adorable! i really want to become more confident in sewing garments for myself and my kids! practice makes perfect right!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!