Blogger's Quilt Festival

10.26.2012

First off, welcome to the Blogger's Quilt Festival!  It's been far too long since I've participated in this awesome event...it feels good to be back and I'm so excited to see what everyone else has made!


When it comes to picking fabrics for most of the quilts that I've made, the one word that comes to mind is safe (and possibly boring).


I tend to be drawn to more muted, complementary colors and while they're incredibly soothing, they're not what one would call bold or exciting.  I often find myself looking longingly at other people's quilts and thinking "wow, I would never have thought to put those fabric together!  That looks amazing!"  And so when I decided to make a postage stamp quilt I knew that this would be the perfect opportunity to get out of my comfort zone of safe (and boring) fabric combinations.

Look!  She's almost crawling!
There's no better way of doing that after all than by literally using a piece of every fabric that is sitting on your shelf.  I used scraps from fabrics that I love and I used scraps from fabrics that I probably once loved, but now loathe.  I used pieces from fabrics that seem to go with everything and I used pieces from fabrics that seem to go with nothing.  It's an absolutely crazy combination of fabrics and yet it works.  And no one can call it boring.


In keeping with the idea of venturing outside of my comfort zone, I chose a bright and vibrant fabric for my backing, thinking that in addition to going well with the colorful quilt top, it'll pop when thrown on our gray couch (which is exactly where it's going to end up since it's a nice size for a throw - 58" x 54").


The binding is made from leftover binding bits from a number of other projects (I knew that I would eventually find a use for all those leftovers!)  And as for the quilting, I just went with straight line quilting through every row.  Yes, it's a bit boring but a girl can only change so much, right?

(And because it's almost Halloween - hey look, I'm a quilt ghost!  Or is my husband the only one who found this picture to be hilarious?  Yeah, don't answer that question.)


24 comments:

  1. OMG Carolyn, it is just Brilliant!!!! :) When on earth did you find the time or the energy? great, great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love this quilt! It is beautiful and I am inspired to break away from my safe colors palette and try this. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is not boring at all! i love it all: the colors, the postage stamps, the scrappy binding, the backing, the straight line quilting, the quilt models, and even your quilt ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I always loved a postage stamp quilt and I love your colors that pop out. I'm busy saving scraps for one...

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow all those little squares...love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love all the colors & prints, it's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is unbelievably beautiful - I have a big, big love of scrap quilts, the idea and the look of them - and I can't fathom how long it must have taken to piece it all together!
    Quilt ghost, I am sorry, but you are too pretty to scare anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha love the quilt ghost! Really I love that cloth diapered baby on that awesome quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and such cute kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I'm 3 blocks shy of finishing my queen size postage stamp quilt and seeing yours inspires me to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! It's not boring and it is inspiring me to make a postage stamp quilt one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful quilt, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! Definitely not boring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. the sheer time alone! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. It is amazing how 'ugly' fabric can look so great in a scrap quilt, especially a PSQ. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lot of different fabrics! Love this. I bet you are now inspired to really leave your comfort zone more often. Fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!! It is bright and bold and absolutely charming. I have been wanting to do a "scrap vomit" type quilt. Maybe when I finish the other quilts I've been working on for years? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is beautiful!
    love all the scraps... and LOVE those babies looking at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! One day I will make a postage stamp quilt - so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome!!! Love postage stamp quilts. They are the best. Cute photos too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous4.11.12

    I love a good scrappy quilt! This is sweet! But that is a lot of quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. holy shit! it is amazing! not boring AT ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!