Fourth Time's The Charm?

1.25.2013


Given that I've made this top three times already, you'd think that I would have learned all that there is to know about making the Renfrew Top

But you'd be wrong because I learned at least two new things this fourth (!) time around.

1.   Fabric choice does make a difference (everybody say it with me now - "duh!").  The first time that I made this top for myself I sewed it out of sweatshirt fabric which had very little stretch to it and the size 6 that I cut out happened to be the perfect size for a nice fitted shirt.  This time, though, I cut out the same size shirt but I made the top out of an interlock fabric with a fair amount of stretch. 

Same size, different fabric, and a whole different fit.

Because of the added stretch in this fabric the fit is much looser this time around.  So much so that when I first put it on I wasn't sure that I liked this version of the shirt.  After wearing it a couple of times though I have to say that it's growing on me and while the different fit was a complete surprise, perhaps it'll end up being a pleasant surprise in the end. 


2.  Knit tops made out of striped fabric should only be made by people who are detail oriented and possess infinite patience.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. 

In sewing the top together I realized that I probably should have been much more precise when laying out the fabric and the pattern to ensure that the fabric was straight and that the stripes were laid out correctly.  I was able to do some finagling to get the neckline and the side stripes to match up perfectly but the cuffs and the bottom band are definitely off.  My hope is that people will be so distracted by the ridiculously bright colors on this shirt that they won't notice that some of my stripes are wonky.  We'll see if this slight of hand works.

P.S.  So cold outside!


12 comments:

  1. Hey, it looks great! Do you sew all these knits with a serger or with your normal machine. I'm still 'scared' of knits (don't have a serger) so stay well out of the way of them... ;-)
    Much warmer this morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great, even with the mismatched cuffs and bottom band. Really, no one will notice. Make 'em like I do, and use different fabric for the cuffs, bands and collar. :) P.S. I really love the pink/orange combo. Where do you buuy your knits? Thx!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fit looks great on it! I have some of that colour combo knit too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! Don't over think it- you look fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I seriously love this top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks fab. And you know, as soon as I started looking more closely at Old Navy / Gap clothes that I didn't think twice about buying before, I saw all sorts of flaws. I think we just have lower tolerance for it on homesewing. Probably should be the opposite - we should expect more of factories and forgive ourselves more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least in the pictures, the line-up looks good to me. Besides bright colors, I've also found that staying in constant motion makes mistakes more difficult to spot--two small children should help you with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your version with the 3/4 sleeves, looks like a great fit and just an all round easy wear. Good for kid wrangling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous27.1.13

    this is gorgeous - love, love, love the colors and the stripes look fine to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!! And I think the fit looks perfect - not too tight, not baggy at all. I have to say, I am not detail oriented, or a perfectionist, and I sew with stripes all the time. I figure, no one is looking that closely, right? The only people who complain about stripes matching are sewists. And even they only look at the stripes on their own work, not anyone else's ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the Renfrew. I haven't had as much luck :( with sewing the Renfrew, but I haven't given up. I found your blog via pintrest. What wonderful pic's and memories you have of your beautiful children. I have really enjoyed reading thru your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dude, i wish i was nursing! your hoots are huge!!!! love the top, im going to buy the pattern!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!