2012 Superlatives

12.29.2012

MOST WORN


Me:  I guess this category could also be called "most wearable" because that's certainly what this Tova top is.  There are so many things that I love about this shirt.  One, the fabric is awesome.  The pattern is plain enough that it goes with so many things, but not so plain that it's boring.  Also, the fabric is thinner than a quilting cotton so there's a bit of drape to it making it hang much better on my body.  Plus, the fabric is machine washable and rarely needs ironing (both big pluses in my book!).  As for the design of the shirt, it's incredibly comfy while still looking stylish (although my husband may disagree with the latter point).  As for how often it gets worn, let's just say that on most weekends you can usually find me wearing this shirt with some skinny jeans (man, I hate that term) and my newly rediscovered cowboy boots (which are perfect "mom shoes" because you can slip them on while having your hands full of baby). 


O:  I guess it's no surprise that O's most worn item is her stack of handmade undies given that she has to wear a pair every day.  Fortunately, she loves her handmade undies and often specifically requests to wear a certain pair in the morning.  And I'm happy to report that they're holding up great despite the near constant wear.  The project (and this pattern) definitely gets two thumbs up. 


Can I cheat and pick a runner-up for this category too?  If so, I'd say that this twirly skirt has definitely earned that prize.  Dana's tutorial was incredibly easy to follow and the skirt was a breeze to put together.  But best of all, O loves this little skirt and often asks to wear it.  Yahoo!

LEAST WORN


Me:  This silk and voile top that I sewed right after having C.  When I cut this pattern out I based the size on what I thought my breastfeeding chest size would be and lo and behold, I estimated that size wrong.  Because of this the top just doesn't fit quite right.  It's tight where it's supposed to be loose and pulls where it's supposed to hang.  I'm pretty confident though that once I wean the little one, things will shrink back down to their regular size and all will be right with the world once again.


O:  That would be this dress (I think the only time that she's worn this dress was on the day that we took this photo).  I fully blame myself for this dress not being worn much though.  I mean, who makes a non-twirly dress for a girl who just wants to twirl all day?  (me, that who!)

BIGGEST WHOOPS

After seeing this gorgeous blouse I attempted to make my own version in a rayon challis fabric and it turned out to be a disaster (hence the lack of photo).  It was my first attempt at sewing with rayon challis and I'm just hoping that it hasn't turned me off of it for good, because look at these beauties that Anna Maria Horner is releasing

FAVORITE PATTERN OF THE YEAR


Do I have to pick just one?  Okay then, I'm going to go with Grainline Studio's Tiny Pocket Tank.  It's certainly not the most elaborate pattern but there are so many things that I love about it.  I love that it was simple enough for me to sew in my post-natal brain fog.  I love that it's finished with lovely bias binding rather than facings (Arghh!  I hate facings!).  And I love that it can be dressed up or down depending on what fabric you make it with.

FAVORITE QUILT OF THE YEAR


Well there's not a whole lot of competition here given that I only made one quilt this year.  But even if there were bucket-loads of competition I think that this quilt would win because I love this quilt and all its craziness. 

ALL-TIME FAVORITE FINISHED OBJECT FOR 2012


This little munchkin (as if you even had to ask, right?)


But the shirt that I made for Ben is definitely the first runner up, mostly because Ben is a very appreciative recipient of handmade goods and has worn this shirt to almost every family event that we've had over the past several months.  He's a good man, I tell you.

Now how about you?  What's on your superlative list for 2012?

6 comments:

  1. Oooo! I love the superlative idea! I definitely want to go make my own list now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, love your best make of the year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea for the list too! may just have to steal it, if I can get around to blogging! hooray for a good year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so many wonderful things!! That quilt is impressive! Love that men's shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, look at the cute baby face! As my sister would say, jokingly: "She's getting kind of cute." Whew, she's distractingly adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome awesome! Dang, just realized I forgot to ask for the Tova pattern for Christmas. Boo me! Anyway, that shirt photoshoot with Ben remains one of my all-time favorite blog posts by anyone, anywhere. Hilarious. Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!