Manic Summer Sewing In The Form Of A Maxi Dress

8.23.2013

Having just returned from our last summer trip and with O starting school in less than two weeks I'm starting to realize that this summer is quickly drawing to an close and this realization is making me finish all my summer sewing projects at a manic pace.  First up, this maxi dress which I made with McCall's 6559.


I originally ordered this fabric to make the dress several months ago, but after receiving the fabric I wasn't in love with the fact that it was a bit textured so I decided to tempt the fates again and I ordered a different knit fabric from Girl Charlee.  And I'm so glad that I did.  This dress is made with a cotton/lycra blend and it is the perfect weight (awesome drape without being sheer) in addition to being ridiculously comfortable.  Like "I'm pretty sure that I'm wearing a nightgown in public" comfortable.


The contrast fabric is leftover from another project and is also a cotton/lycra blend.  The pattern calls for you to just turn under the neckline and armholes and hem them but I wanted something a bit more finished so I opted to bind them using this tutorial.  Ben things I'm rocking a little bit of a sports jersey look but I'm okay with that.

As for sizing I cut out a size 10 based on my measurements and graded out to a size 12 around the hip area but in the end up I ended up taking up the shoulders and taking in the side seams around 3/4 of an inch.  Oh, Big Four patterns, why is your sizing always so off?  Might you some day learn a little something about sizing from all those amazing indie designers?  A girl can dream, right?

9 comments:

  1. That color is beautiful on you! A maxi has been on my list for so long, I'm feeling inspired. Maybe it's time to dust off the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous outfit Carolyn! I love the sports jersey look! Also love that binding tutorial by Megan, will definitely give that a go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, and I love the sports jersey look about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so comfy! The color is great on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fab on!
    Am with you on pattern sizing - so frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Yes to the big 4. I cut out an outfit for a newborn pattern, sewed it up, thought "this is big" but kept going. It would still fit by almost 2 year old niece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! So simple and pretty. I like the "sports jersey" look!

    I am still (mightily? futilely?) resisting the whole maxi dress/skirt thing. I'm short, so I imagine it would make me look even shorter. But it sure looks lovely to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks stunning on you and so professional! i often notice wavy hems on knit photos but yours looks great! i'm about to dive into knits myself. wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe the sizing is referring to age instead... ;)

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!