Sewing has definitely taken a backseat lately to school work, family obligations, and basically just keeping my children alive and fed. Despite the craziness around here though, I did manage to dust off my sewing machine (in the most literal sense) in order to sew up a dress for each girl for some family pictures that we had taken last weekend.
For O's dress I was definitely inspired by this simple quilting cotton that I bought over the summer during my Portland fabric-shopping extravaganza. It's a cream and gold quilting cotton and as soon as I saw it, I knew that the girls would love it. It turns out that I was right. My only regret is not buying a tad bit more. I was hoping to be able to make something for C out of it too, but because I cut out the bodice on the bias it used up more fabric than I had planned for.
And speaking of the bias-cut top, that was my other inspiration for the dress. I really wanted to make a Hanami with a chevron on the front. Yeah, yeah, I've made a million Hanami's before but I thought that this would be a great modification to the pattern. Super simple and really cute. I also played around with the stripes by making the back of the bodice vertical and the skirt horizontal. It also eliminated any problems that I may have had trying to match up a chevron on the back while inserting a zipper. I'm all about taking the path of least resistance.
O's a huge fan of her new dress and was made an even bigger fan when we went out to buy her some gold shoes to complete the outfit. And I'm a big fan of the fact that I already have her holiday dress made. Big high five for both of us!