10.10.2016

My Stop Along the Berlin Coat Blog Tour

If you've been reading this blog for any period of time, you know that I have a special place in my heart for Straight Grain patterns.  Up until this point in time though, I've only made her dress patterns so I was incredibly excited to try one of her latest patterns - a coat!  It'll come as no surprise then that I immediately said "yes" when she asked me to participate in the Berlin Coat pattern tour.  


Now, one of the great things about the Berlin Coat pattern is that it comes with several design options but I knew that there were two things that were essential for any coat that I was going to make - a hood and pockets.  The first is a tribute to the never-ending fall rain in the Pacific Northwest and the second is just because you never know when you're going to need to shove something in a pocket. Because of this I chose to make the option with a simple front with patch pockets and a hood.


I should point out that there is some definite prep work in putting this pattern together.  Because of the options that I chose I had to print out the entire PDF and trace and cut all the pattern pieces.  Then once everything is cut out, you have to quilt certain lining pieces in order to incorporate batting into the fabric (although, to be fair I kind of love quilting pattern pieces).  Once the prep work is done, though, the coat comes to together incredibly easily.  The only part that had me scratching my head was the incorporation of the hood facing because I've never sewn a hood with a facing before.  Once I figured it out, though, I was pretty excited about having such a cool design feature on the coat.  The coat definitely has a bunch of extra little touches that I've never used before - like real coat facings.  Look at these beauties!


Oh and as always be sure to pick your sizing based on the measurements of your kiddo and not their age (about once a year I have to re-learn this lesson the hard way).  O is a skinny little kid and actually measures in the size 5 range, but I made a size 6 based on the assumption that she'll eventually grow.


As for the fabric, the outer fabric is chartreuse Linen Mochi by MoMo.  It's definitely heavier than a typical woven cotton but not really winter coat material, making this coat more appropriate for fall or spring.  The lining fabric is a really beautiful cotton lawn from Les Fleurs (City Toile).  It's peach and gold with little scenes from different countries printed all over the fabric and I may just be in love with it.  Both were purchased at DryGoods Design but I don't see either available on their website. right now.  The batting is just quilt batting leftover from the days when I actually used to quilt.  Quilting clothing is absolutely the best way to use up all those random quilt batting pieces and you guys know how I love to use up scraps.


O and I worked together at the fabric store to come to an agreement on fabrics that we both loved.  The buttons, however, were a bit more of a struggle.  I wanted gold buttons to play off of the gold on the lining fabric.  O wanted cheesy little dog buttons all over the fabric.  In the end we came to a compromise - I got my gold buttons on the front and on the sleeves and O got the dog button of her choice for the back vent.


It's diplomacy at work.  And it resulted in one satisfied kiddo.

Now be sure to check out the other fabulous stops on the Berlin Blog tour!

10.02.2016

And Now One For Me


Shortly after finishing O's Maya Sweater I cast on for one in my size and then knit and knit and knit and knit in an attempt to finish it before my school started once again.  Fortunately, I finished it with 2 days to spare and about 2 feet left of the yarn, which was a very big deal because I was using discontinued Jaeger merino yarn that I bought probably 9 years ago and there was no way that I was going to find extra.  I bought a bunch when I found out that it was being discontinued, used a couple skeins to knit up this sweater, and then started another sweater that sat unfinished in a bag for several years.  This meant that in order to make this sweater I had to spend my time unraveling the half-knit sweater, soaking, and re-hanging the used yarn to get the crimp out.  It's entirely possible that my family is sick of me asking them to help rewind balls of yarn.


As for the knitting, after making the kid's version I knew exactly what I was getting into and this one came together incredibly easily.  For the most part I followed the pattern but I think I added another row or two to make the armpits a bit deeper and I based the length of the sweater and sleeves on my own personal preferences rather than what was listed in the pattern.  The sweater definitely grew in length after blocking, but I much prefer a too-long sweater to a too-short sweater so I'm A-okay with the length.


The weather has definitely turned towards fall around here with an obvious nip in the air so I've already worn it several times and I give it two thumbs up when it comes to wearability.  I'm sure it'll be getting a lot of use in the next couple of months as I try to survive a wet and cold winter.


Now, I'm already eyeing my next knitting project.  The only thing I'll have to decide is whether to be a nice mom and make another sweater for my kids or to induldge the selfish knitter that I am deep-down inside.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...